Project Definition

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:53 PM
Edited Sep 26, 2007 at 7:25 AM
I am working on the exact same idea. I plan to develop a .NET WPF Acropolis front end whose modules are auto generated by a tool from a data dictionary, as well as some sort of Use Case dictionary. The data access will use the ADO Entity Framework. There will be an ERP server which eposes it’s API as web services. The client will use this API to communicate with the ERP Server. I want to integrate WWF into the system, so business process can be developed on top of the discrete commands.
I plan to develop a POS module and a Web store module (possibly using DotNetNuke) as well.

Some custom controller code will be required to wire up/configure the various components.

What is your thinking on the project?
Coordinator
Sep 26, 2007 at 9:32 PM
I have similar idea. Initially I am porting the OpenBravo www.openbravo.com form Java with Oracle to C# with SQL Server with little changes. Next I intend to use WPF and WWF. I didn't plan use DotNetNuke, but it isn't a closed question.

Can you program in Java and Oracle too ?

Regards,

Laercio

vicente001 wrote:
I am working on the exact same idea. I plan to develop a .NET WPF Acropolis front end whose modules are auto generated by a tool from a data dictionary, as well as some sort of Use Case dictionary. The data access will use the ADO Entity Framework. There will be an ERP server which eposes it’s API as web services. The client will use this API to communicate with the ERP Server. I want to integrate WWF into the system, so business process can be developed on top of the discrete commands.
I plan to develop a POS module and a Web store module (possibly using DotNetNuke) as well.

Some custom controller code will be required to wire up/configure the various components.

What is your thinking on the project?

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:45 AM
yes I can, the dotnetnuke part would mainly be for the Web Store. How far are you with the project? As I go through it I see myself actually developing some sort of 2 way code generator that will generate most of the code for me. e.g. the XAML for WWF, and WPF, the SSDL, CDSL and MSL for LinQ (ADO.NET Entity Framework), The VS2008 Acropolis parts projects as well as the C# code, and the database itself. The generator will be plugable so if you want to create your own modules and generaate code in a completly different technology, you could do that. All the application Metadata would be stored in a db. Eventually I can use the generator to generate itself, like a C compiler compiling its next version...
Coordinator
Sep 30, 2007 at 10:47 PM
About the database, do you have a model of the database ?
Oct 1, 2007 at 7:57 AM
I have installed Openbrave in postgres and have all the ER diagrams and documentation, The database is very well documented and I can reverse engineer the database from postgres.
Coordinator
Oct 1, 2007 at 10:42 PM
OK, then you can upload the scripts to database in SQL Server. I hope that we can use the same structure that OpenBravo.

I am using Openbravo in Oracle and I began to study the stored procedures from Oracle. Did you studied the procedures from OpenBravo ?

I am new in the codeplex, can you upload codes to the repository or I need to do something to you have rights to checkin code ?
Oct 3, 2007 at 3:43 PM
Are you aware that the Open DB is autogenerated by using metadata stored in the db. e.g. the table AD_Table stores metadata for all the tables in the db including itself?

Im not sure how the views, triggers, functions and stored procedures are created, are these autogenerated as well based on metadata in the db?

If we understand the metadata(business) of the system, then we are 60% there since then all we do is write our own generators for SQL Server and .NET (instead of Java). We will have to identify which code is autogenerated and which code is manually created.
Nov 22, 2007 at 7:21 PM
Hi!,

is this project alive ?
Dec 10, 2007 at 6:50 AM
Hi all,
In my career as a Microsoft Services consultant, I have got the opportunity to work on several ERP scale projects. Each time I realized that there is an intense need to have a common and a robust framework around which the line of business apps should be plugged. I believe that OpenERP is a step in the right direction.

My 2 cents, if I were to build a framework:
1)Use the ER from OpenBravo
2)Use XAML to build dynamic screens
3)Use ADO.NET Entity framework at the Data access layer to provide an abstraction.
4)Use Windows Communication Framework to provide the services layer. This would be similar to the SAP's RFC functionality.
5)Use WF to provide any kind of workflow capabilities.
6)Build the framework around SQL Express for smaller businesses. As the needs of the business grows, they can migrate to SQL Server STD/ENT for higher scalability/performance.

The core framework would not have any thing functional. The functional applications would be provided by the LOB developer
I sincerely believe that there is an urgent need for a low cost and a robust framework, which can be used by small businesses to computerize their operations.